THE HISTORY OF FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF AUBURN, UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
In 1875, a Congregational Minister by the name of Rev. Hiram Cummings, traveling through Auburn, made his home here. Rev. Cummings conducted Congregational services on Sunday evenings in the present-day Pioneer Methodist Church at 1338 Lincoln Way. Realizing they needed their own church, the Congregationalists bought a lot on the corner of Broad and High Streets in 1879. By March 31, 1883, the first service was conducted in a church that cost “nearly $4,000.”
The Broad Street location was a mud bog in the Winter and the church was referred to as “The Swamp Angel.” In spite of the location, the church continued to grow, adding a Guild Hall and a Parsonage. When facilities were outgrown, the church and parsonage were sold in 1962. Prior to the sale, ten acres of the hilltop land on Auburn-Ravine Road, the present location, was purchased and paid for in 1960. The construction of a new church began in 1962 with the first service being held December 2, 1962. Dedication of the new church building occurred on February 10, 1963.
Construction of Overmiller Hall, including kitchen, Fireside Room, and classrooms, was completed May 13, 1984. The decision was made at the time of the construction of the new church to “pay-as-you-go.” Thus, First Congregational Church of Auburn is proud to say the church and all campus facilities are paid for!
The beautiful bell we hear ringing every Sunday is the same 500-pound bell purchased in November 1883 for the original church steeple. The bell is now located in the structure directly in front of the Sanctuary. The Congregationalists have had the pleasure of sermon leadership by approximately 30 full time pastors over a 145-year history.