Overmiller Hall is getting a new roof in June, 2021, thanks to funds from the Church Foundation. Built in 1984, Overmiller Hall was named after Dr. Wilbur C. Overmiller, who lived and practiced in Auburn from 1948 until he died in 1977. He was an active member of First Congregational Church of Auburn and one of the doctors responsible for spearheading the construction of both Auburn Faith Community Hospital and Auburn Ravine Terrace.
With the large contribution from the Overmiller family, the church was able to raise the remaining amount of money needed for construction of the hall without ever having to take out a loan.
The hall which includes a basketball court, showers (presently used for storage), full working kitchen, side room with fireplace, and capacity to seat 350 people, the hall is one of the largest church community halls in Auburn.
Over the years, our church has been fortunate to have a building large enough to facilitate wedding receptions, memorials, fellowship gatherings, youth events, rummage sales, etc. not just for our church, but for the community to rent as well.
Overmiller Hall even came to our rescue when we had to vacate our church sanctuary in 2005 due to an emergency structural issue with the sanctuary roof supports. Church services were held in Overmiller for over a year.
Lighting systems, air conditioning, and kitchen appliances have been updated over the years, but surprisingly, the “floor” in the main hall is still the original. At one time basketball players were instructed “not to wear black soled tennis shoes” due to the difficulty for the custodian to remove the black marks!
Written by Bruce Quick, Church Historian